Google+ Followers

Friday, August 8, 2014

OHF: Free Samples, A Child's Place, Communication Styles

I know I've been M.I.A as of late but for good reason; I've been insanely busy!

Here's what I've been up to this week...


1. 11 Courses

I've talked about Yelp a lot on this blog (here and here for example), but I want to again urge everyone to get out and review because the perks of being a Yelp Elite are pretty amazing. Monday night we were treated to an 11-course menu. Yup, 11 courses. I am usually able to bring a plus-one along but even Brad missed out on this one. The one good part of no-guests is that you get to meet new people and engage the group a bit more! I'll be honest, I was a little skeptical about this event because I am not a huge chain fan and it was at Olive Garden, but knowing that Yelp events rarely disappoint, I decided last minute to give it a shot. We tasted new menu items and I was really impressed with the inclusion of fresh ingredients like kale, fresh mozzarella, and roasted tomatoes. It was less heavy than one would expect, and the food looked beautiful. I reviewed the event and chose my favorite dishes of the night here !




2. A Child's Place Event

I  was tasked with putting together an event that supports Unilever's ongoing mission to make people's lives better in our community. We could not have found a more deserving organization to support than A Child's Place. ACP is a local non-profit that works to "erase the impact of homelessness on children and their education." There are nearly 5,000  known school-aged homeless kids in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area alone. In addition to donations, we spent the day at their summer camp getting to know some of these amazing kids. The day offered us a chance to connect one-on-one through their lunch buddies program, a relay race, and of course we brought the ice cream cart along! Our group thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I know we will be back again soon. They are ALWAYS needing volunteers. You can find more information about their donation and/or volunteer needs here.

I don't feel comfortable posting kid's photos without parental consent, so here is a shot of our group posing with some of the relay-race props!


3. Garlic Cauliflower Mash

I don't know why but I've been on a Fall food kick lately. Word of warning; this is not a hubby-approved recipe. He prefers his mash to consist strictly of potatoes, but I on the other hand love cauliflower mashed potatoes. These come out nice and creamy, and have way more to offer in the nutritional tool-box than traditional mashed potatoes. For dinner last night  I served this alongside bratwurst kind of like a play on bangers and mash and it was perfect!


Ingredients:

1 head of Cauliflower, 1/4 cup of half and half, 2 tbsp of unsalted butter, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, sea-salt (to taste)

Directions:

1) Remove leaves. Cut Cauliflower into florets and chop the stem up small.
2) In a double-boiler steam cauliflower until very soft, (about 15-20 minutes)
3) Transfer cauliflower to a food processor (I use my Ninja) Add butter and half & half. Pulse till completely smooth. 
4) Add seasonings to taste. Serve immediately as these do not retain heat like potatoes. 


4. Communication Styles

I attended a two-day training course in which we learned a lot of fascinating things including our Communication Styles. I never felt like those tests really summed me up very well, as it turns out that I score fairly smack dab in the middle of all four styles; (11) amiable, (11) expressive, (8) analytical, and (8) driver. What's interesting is that the instructors said that scoring even is fairly unusual; but two other analysts on my team scored similarly. While no one fits perfectly into a box, I could easily identify people in my life who fall under these specific styles. If you're interested in finding out what communication style you prefer, I found a similar test (though not the exact one we took)  here.


5. Free Samples of Jamberry

My SIL is offering FREE samples of Jamberry! If you are interested in trying Jamberry to see how easy and awesome it is, please comment below and I will put you in touch with Leslie. To read my review of Jamberry click here


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Bangers and Mash....I am laughing about the story Brad told us on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I bet that's why it was on my mind this week!

      Delete

01 09 10